Master thesis: Numerical Gear Tooth Contact Analysis (TCA)
AVL List GmbH, Graz
A Winkler Mattress based tooth contact analysis (TCA) solves the contact problem along a contact line, by solving a 2D spring system. The spring system can be calibrated against numerically advanced models, such as a 3D finite element contact model. The task of this thesis is to enhance an already existing TCA solver, which was designed to perform on hypoid gear sets, in order to make it applicable for cylindrical gears.
- Familiarization with existing TCA solvers and literature study.
- Understand the source code of the existing Winkler Mattress based TCA model.
- Solve the geometric contact problem for cylindrical gears. Develop a spring network calibration procedure
- for the Winker Mattress based TCA model against an analytical tooth contact model (e.g. Weber/Banashek).
- Validate the results.
- Fields of study: (technical) physics, mechanical engineering, mathematics (or equivalent)
- Good knowledge of object oriented programming and/or Python.
- Good understanding of mechanics, vector algebra and numerical methods.
- Self-organized and structured problem solving attitude.
Remuneration: The successful completion of the thesis is remunerated with a one-time fee of EUR 2,600 before tax.
According to the Austrian Employment of Foreign Nationals Act it is unfortunately not possible to assign graduate work to third-country citizens (Non-EU citizens) and Croatian citizens who study at a university abroad.