Researcher – PhD Candidate in the field of Computer Vision and Robotics (f/m/d)
Know Center GmbH, Graz
Digitalization efforts have led to massive sensor infrastructures embedded in the fabric of objects, processes and space. A growing volume of data increasingly demands the ability to access data anytime and anywhere, to be digested, often by drawing from a collective expertise before making a decision. This raises two fundamental challenges: First, current analytics tools can only offer a peephole view into the data and are not suited for situational sense-making tasks. Second, geographic separation frequently makes it infeasible for all stakeholders involved to physically participate in the tasks analysis.
We are searching for a PhD Candidate – Researcher – to join a research team of 6 people working on “Data Driven Immersive Analytics". We will apply immersive analytics, using virtual reality and augmented reality to deliver first person analytics of digital twins in industrial applications regardless of location.
The project is centered in the Area Knowledge Visualization and will be supervised by Univ.-Prof. Eduardo Veas.
We are currently searching for a PhD candidate in the area of Computer Vision applied to scene reconstruction. As part of our team, you will investigate methods to capture the space environment of the physical referent with sufficient details to guarantee an immersive experience for the remote user to experience a remote augmented environment. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team working in areas of immersive visualization, digital twin data, embodied interaction, wearable displays, wearable sensors, machine learning, user experience and perceptual psychology.
Within our research team, you will investigate the methods needed to offer an interactive first person viewpoint on a remote scene, as well as techniques to extend the natural interaction in space to the remote location, either leveraging remote mobile viewpoints, cameras located in the environment or other sensing methods. The goal is to extend the capabilities of a remote user to interact with the augmented space as if locally there. You will investigate and design techniques and methods using modern sensing technology, and research novel techniques to extend the human capability to interact in remote locations as if present.
This is your chance to make the work of fiction a reality of the future.
- Master's degree in Computer or Information Science, or similar discipline
- Solid background in one of the following areas and willingness to work on the others: Computer Vision, Scene reconstruction, Robotics Virtual/Augmented reality, Computer Graphics, Python
- Technical understanding of and interest in immersive analytics and digital twins
- Ability to work independently, think out of the box, thrive in dynamic fast-paced environments
- Ability to work as part of a team, offer advice and receive feedback
- Excellent communication skills in English (knowledge of German is of advantage)
- A unique opportunity for a financed research group
- Very good work-life balance (flexible working hours)
- Dynamic, creative and multi-cultural team and informal and stimulating working atmosphere
Under our collective agreement, the minimum gross salary for this full-time (38.5 h/W) position is € 2,971,50 per month (14 times a year). Higher compensation is possible, depending on your qualifications and experience.
We are looking forward to your application at firstname.lastname@example.org.